The historic Charles Ready' home in Readyville is the site of the winter marking by the Rutherford County Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA). The event will take place from 2:00 until 4:00 o'clock this Sunday afternoon at 1990 Readyville Street in neighboring Readyville, Tennessee.
Local APTA President Denise Carlton explained that the home is located on the original stage coach line between Knoxville and Nashville. It served as an inn for Andrew Jackson, and its restaurant fed Nathan Bedford Forrest and his Raiders, and later was Colonel Hazen's brigade headquarters after the Battle of Stones River.
Charles Ready, Sr. purchased the land from General Griffith Rutherford, this county's namesake. In 1804 he built the home for his wife Mary Palmer Ready.
By 1811 a post office was established there and the community on the Rutherford-Cannon County line was named Readyville.
In 1829 Charles Ready began construction of a large three-story colonial style brick home that had 18-inch thick walls. Ready named the home "The Corners".
After the historic marker is presented, the public can enjoy a tour and reception hosted by current owner Karen Ford, owner of Goodness Gracious Restaurant and Catering. The history and preservation public is invited to attend. No reservations required. Inquiries may be made to local APTA President Denise Carlton at 615-604-0401 or e-mail her at email@example.com.