Rutherford County Schools will host the second annual Parent Academy on Sept. 22 from 9 a.m.-noon. Parent Academy is open to all parents, free-of-charge, and will be offered at two locations: LaVergne High School and Riverdale High School.
Parent Academy will offer multiple parent-focused sessions and workshops on a variety of topics based on previous parent input. The list of sessions is included below. Free refreshments will be available at the event.
· Everything you need to know about Special Education
· High School 101: Pathways, Career & Technical Courses, American Diploma Project and guidance counselors
· How to use online textbooks and Parent Portal
· How to find financial aid for college
· Simple ways to help your child be successful in school
· Counseling Services: What’s available? From bullying to social, emotional and academic needs
· How to help your children with elementary math and reading
· What is Common Core and how will it affect my children?
· Internet Safety and resolving cyber bullying
· Special Session for ESL parents:
How to help my child be successful in school (three grade-specific sessions)
· Special Session hosted by the School Resource Officers: School Safety: What do our schools do to ensure safe environments?
Several information booths will be available for parents, as well, including healthy tips for parents from the RCS Coordinated School Health program; Sylvan Learning Center, Learning RX, the Exchange Club Family Center, Books from Birth, the Boys & Girls Clubs and the Hispanic Family Center. The RCS Health Services Department also will offer free screenings for blood pressure, blood sugar and body mass index.