The United Way of Rutherford and Cannon Counties is set to collect items for literacy kits for kids pre-k through third grade beginning June 20, 2014, through July 23, 2014. The items will be sorted and literacy kits will be assembled on July 25, 2014, at Embassy Suites in Murfreesboro.
Last year’s Stuff the Bus resulted in 17,264 items collected and 1,027 literacy kits assembled by 97 volunteers. The kits were delivered to programs in Rutherford and Cannon Counties.
This year, United Way will be working with Rutherford County Schools and Murfreesboro City Schools to distribute the literacy kits. Items needed for the kits include:
- Scissors (Fiskar)
- Paper- wide ruled notebook paper, craft paper or handwriting paper
- Composition notebooks with wide ruled notebook paper
- Crayons (24 count Crayola)
- Pencils (No. 2)
- Markers (Crayola) broad tip classic colors
- Colored pencils
- Glue sticks (Elmer's)
- Expo markers (dry erase)
- Large pink erasers
- Pencil sharpener (with cover for shavings)
- New or gently-used books (appropriate for children 3rd grade or younger)
To sign up to participate in the 2014 Stuff the Bus and for a full list of details, visit www.unitedwayvolunteer.org or contact the United Way at (615) 893-7303.