Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department's Districts 1 and 2 responded to a fire call at Jennings and Ayers Funeral Home located at 820 South Church Street just before 5:30 Friday afternoon.
Crews discovered heavy smoke in the basement of the structure and located the fire in the funeral home's old embalming room.
A line was pulled and the fire was extinguished quickly. Firefighters also checked for extensions. Damage was contained to the room of origin.
"The fire started when a light in the old embalming room shorted," said Shift Commander Daryl Alexander. "Employees were lucky that they went downstairs before they left for the day; if this was not discovered until later, circumstances would have been much different," he continued.
Jennings and Ayers will remain open for business as usual.
NewsRadio WGNS has continuing coverage of the situation surrounding embattled Rutherford County Sheriff Robert Arnold.
- Arnold in KY Jail; Considering Resigning
- Sheriff Jailed
- Who's In Charge Now?
- Pettus Read "Embarrassed"
- Arnold: "A lot going on."
- TBI Investigates Domestic Complaint
- Arnold Traveling Despite Indictment
- Feds Line Up Witnesses in JailCigs Case
- Commissioners Call for Resignation
- Indicted: Sheriff Facing 95-Years in Prison
- County Mayor "Concerned Uncertainty"
- Gammon Sues After Firing