Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Department’s District 1 responded to an apartment fire at 350 Tremont Drive around 6:20 Thursday morning.
Upon arrival, crews discovered heavy black smoke coming from an upstairs apartment. Murfreesboro Fire crews were able to help all residents in the apartment escape without injury.
According to Captain Nora Smith, “Crews really worked quickly to get the fire out. This fire had the potential to be more dangerous, but it was extinguished before it got out of hand.”
Tenants of the upstairs apartment were displaced due to fire and water damage. The apartment below also received minor water damage. The American Red Cross was called to assist.
The Murfreesboro Fire Marshals’ Office was called to conduct a routine investigation. “At this time, the fire appears to be the result of unattended cooking,” said Assistant Fire Marshal Carl Peas.