Hate crimes were examined by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations. The TBI went through records for the 2013 year and put together a full report on hate crime statistics in Tennessee.
In 2013, there were 348 hate crime victims in Tennessee. Over 73% of hate crime victims were male. The most common hate crime motivation was geared towards ethnic groups of a different national origin or African Americans. The second most reported crime revolved around homosexuality in Tennessee.
- Ethnicity/National Origin victim offenses nearly tripled from 25 victims in 2012 to 96 victims in 2013.
- Simple Assault was the most frequently reported bias motivated offense in 2013, with 125 occurrences.
- In 2013, the number of Damage/Destruction/Vandalism hate crime offenses increased 27.9% from the previous year.
- 75 victims and 76 offenders of hate crimes in 2013 were juveniles.
- The most frequently documented Sexual Bias was Anti-Homosexual (Gays & Lesbians), accounting for 38.3% of all Sexual Biases in 2013.
TN Bureau of Investigation